Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Dulac Discovery



When I was thinking about what my first post should be, I pretty much immediately thought of this illustrator!

On the last day of Uni, when I finally return all those piles of books that I've been renewing for the past 4 months, this book just entranced me! Like something out of an adventure movie, this Illustration book was glowing on the shelf!!!!

Edmund Dulac was one of the most highly successful illustrators of his time, along with Arthur Rackham, W. Heath Robinson and Howard Pyle. His works between the years 1905 and 1918 established his outstanding talent, and his Oriental and Arabic influences set him apart from his contemporaries.

What love most about Dulac's illustrations is his ability to create lush, exuberant and bejeweled surroundings, that have beautiful fluid line work. While the content is extravagant and so exciting, a balanced competition is still created. The strong Arabian influence, and Art Nouveau line work are both styles which I deeply admire!

So here are a few of my favorite works by Edmund Dulac:
Book: DULAC, edited by David Larkin, Introduction by Brian Sanders, 1975





No comments:

Post a Comment